Monday, October 15, 2018

In Less than 30 minutes, I Discovered...

Within being on twitter for 20 minutes I came to the conclusion that the following three tweets were my favorite and stuck out to me the most. 

1) A quote by Jennifer Casa-Todd that was tweeted out by George Couros@gcouros. "Social media is social currency for young people. It is a portal to potential and possibilities, even for people who feel hopeless, uninspired, scared, and alone." This is important to me because this is something that I find very true. Our students who feel isolated in our classrooms even though we try to not make them feel that way, easily are able to go onto to the internet and connect with anybody. That's scary and that comforting, it's scary because the world is a big place but the internet is bigger and you never know what or who is going be discovered. It's comforting though at the same time to know that even if you are not that person who your student comes and talks to, they still feel like they can go talk to someone who relates to them. 

2) In a post made by Dr. Justin Tarte @justintarte, he said "Each student has potential. It might be buried & hidden, but it’s there. As educators, it’s our duty to ensure each student is provided equitable access to success. Sometimes it’s our students we’d least expect who make the biggest splash." This something that I am going to have written all over my classroom and my teacher belongings with in my first year. This way when I with no doubt get frustrated with a student in my first year teaching, I can read this note and remember they need me to be there for them and show them their potential. Because sometimes they can't see it for themselves. 

3) In a link posted by WeAreTeachers @WeAreTeachers title We Need to Do More for Teachers Who Are Exhausted, Stressed, and Burned Out One line that really stuck out to me is the excuse "I live in a small town, and there aren't many resources" and their response, not to make this statement an unwanted and unneeded saying but as a suggestion to the problem they say "Get creative with online options."  Not only are they talking about finding sources for the classroom, they also are talking about finding help with someone online, so that everyone in a small town doesn't know your business. Because as a first year teacher it's going to be stressful and if you have to go to a therapist who is also the cousin to your classroom PTA president, it might slip up that you have to see a counselor. Then down the rabbit hole the gossip goes, like it always does in a small town, and inevitably cause parents to say I don't want my students to be in a classroom with an unstable teacher. Causing a rift and disconnect between the parents and the teacher. We all need to take care of ourselves, the fact that while I was reading this and saw that 3 teachers part of BTA all committed suicide within 3 weeks of each other is scary. We need to be there for each other and we need to build a healthy environment not only for our students but also ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Less than 30 minutes, I Discovered...

Within being on twitter for 20 minutes I came to the conclusion that the following three tweets were my favorite and stuck out to me the mo...